Sunday, July 11, 2010

Should I stay or Should I go?

I have to make some hard decisions about where and when to take courses: abroad or locally.  I wish to travel to Hong Kong and Paris through study abroad, but I need to take some lower division courses at the community college in additionally to upper division at my home university, SFSU.

On the staying side, I could become more economically secure (jobs in USA), more prepared (needed prerequisite courses for the advance courses abroad), and brush up on my language skills (Chinese and French).

On the going abroad, I am at a loss of positives except that I can finish up my education a lot sooner, and when I return, I'll spend a semester wrapping things up, improving GPA, and preparing for Masters program.  I also get an amazing experience with excellent industry aligned courses if I go early.  There's a risk that the programs might change if I delay.

To mitigate the issues mentioned above, I could take courses online in the summer, secure financial aid for community college summer studies.  Additionally, I can save up enough to enroll in a language program in either Paris or Hong Kong (something with the institution directly for reasonable price), or alternatively maybe Portugal as language program is only € 700 and the rent is quite affordable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment