Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Missing Link is Design

Ever since I was a child I was creating huge theme parks, designing businesses, imagining huge systems. Active imagination is good, because you can discern how to use what you learn. There's a certain finesse in creating things, works of art in any profession.

As I navigate between the roads of technology and business, modeling ideas and design architectures I am discovering are sought after skills, and this is my core talent. And I came across a book that puts it all together, the proverbial missing link.

This is The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High-Tech Products Drive US Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity by Alan Cooper. Here he shows how many of the things I'm learning in my business college are obsolete, as far as accounting and operational systems that are oriented toward manufacturing and come from the industrial era long ago. Now we are on a new age, the Information Age, and these outdated old models don't work. In any event, this is a fun read, definitely challenges one's way of thinking to accept a new way, and learn about delivering products that people not only need, but actually enjoy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment