Sunday, May 30, 2010

Marketing Orientation and VMWare

One company that was always a pioneer in the market space of virtualization is VMWare.  I have been a user of their VMWare Workstation products, and on the Macintosh, a user of VMWare Fusion.  Recently, the latest version of the Mac version, Fusion 3.0, is riddled with bugs, loss of features from previous version, and degraded performance.  They did a major overhaul in with recent bug fixes, but I'm still seeing many bugs.

At the trade show MacWorld, I dropped by the VMWare booth, and all I found there were mostly sales or marketing that know the basics about the product.  I asked one to demonstrate a stable feature, dragging items from the desktop in Windows to Mac, in front of an audience, and much to his chagrin, the feature didn't seem to work.

This got me to thinking, is VMWare disconnected from the customer.  I recall long ago that there were technical people that attended trade shows, but now I am seeing those that make the product so far removed with what seems layers of management.  I can only guess, as I don't work there, but if the severe, what I personally feel, is misalignment in customer requirements for their 3.0 release combined with quantity and severity of bugs in the release, I have to consider there's something amiss at VMWare.

So I did some sleuthing on the Internet and found this at my first glance:

No comments:

Post a Comment